Friday, December 30, 2016

London traffic

Sometime between fifteen and twenty years of age, I read something that indicated that the average traffic speed in London had not changed in centuries. That as soon as some type of traffic flow enhancement was implemented, then the volume of users increased, bringing the average speed back down to the longterm average.

I later discovered that this was known as Smeed's Law.
At the opposite end of this theory was Smeed's observations of heavily congested networks. He noted that at some minimum speed, motorists would simply choose not to drive. If speeds fell below 9 mph (14.5 kph), then drivers would keep away; as speeds rose above this limit, it would draw more drivers out until the roads became congested again.
I recently saw this tweet referencing Smeed's Law.



1 comment:

  1. If you have a minute, I'd like to introduce you to my blog "Emily's Virtual Rocket". This is a serious newsblog with a special emphasis on transgender issues. Almost every day, the newsblog is updated, so you can read the very latest. In addition, I have covered news critiquing Donald Trump.

    I hope you find this interesting. Please paste the following:

    emilysvirtualrocket.blogspot.com

    Thank you! By the way, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, and Happy Kwanzaa!

    ReplyDelete