Thursday, July 28, 2016

Somehow I think not

That's interesting. I knew this already from text and tabular data but it is always so much more striking when visually displayed. The most left leaning states are the ones which have the greatest levels of inequalities.

In other posts, I have stated my dubiousness about inequality per se as a serious social issue (other than at the extremes). The real issue is more systemic in terms of rule of law, competition policy, and personal productivity. I have also postulated that the champagne liberal class are the ones who are most concerned by inequality because it is their policies which are the ones most contributive to inequality. They see what is in front of them in their own locales and believe that the inequality they see as a consequence of their policies must be the same degree of inequality experienced elsewhere in the nation.

This map would seem to support that supposition. Likewise with my speculation that the mainstream media similarly misestimates the degree of inequality based on locality bias. The mainstream media are based in New York City, Washington, D.C., Chicago, San Francisco, Miami, and LA. I suspect they believe extreme inequality must be the norm since that is what they see around them; failing to realize that the most left leaning states where the mainstream media are located are also the states with the greatest inequality.


I wonder if these left leaning states with extreme inequality will have the strength of commitment to lowering inequality that will extend to emulating the kinds of policies in low inequality states such as South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia and the like? Based on the map, the science seems settled. Somehow, I think not. Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment