Sunday, July 10, 2016

Beaver slides

Yesterday I was down in the nature preserve checking out some downed trees across the creek. We have deer, blue heron, box turtles, red tailed hawks, pileated woodpeckers, soft shelled turtles, snapping turtles, and much other birdlife, wildlife and botanical life. Despite two centuries of development in the area, we have forty acres including a surviving couple of acres of old growth forest with some trees that are 3-4 centuries old. A marvelous gem. And right in the city. It takes a lot of volunteer time and effort, but it is worth preserving.

For years I have heard talk of beavers in the general area and have kept my eyes open for any evidence of their presence in our preserve. As of yesterday, I have the first indication that they have moved in. Along a thirty foot length of the creek bank I saw perhaps a dozen trails from the vegetative edge down to the water (see picture below). Googling it, I see that these are referred to as beaver slides.

Click to enlarge

I don't know for certain yet, but it seems like we have new neighbors. Welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment