Friday, July 22, 2016

Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, idle bellies

Epimenides of Knossos (in Crete) circa 600 BC is credited with saying that "All Cretans are liars." A statement appearing to be nullified by the fact of Epimenides being a Cretan. This is known as Epimenides' Paradox. I was looking this up to confirm my memory. In reading the Wikipedia entry, I came across a fact that I am not sure I ever registered. Not only do we know of Epimenides' Paradox from Greek literature but also from The Bible.

From Epistle to Titus, 1:12–13
One of Crete's own prophets has said it: 'Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, idle bellies'.

He has surely told the truth. For this reason correct them sternly, that they may be sound in faith instead of paying attention to Jewish fables and to commandments of people who turn their backs on the truth.
I wonder how many other instances there are where something Greek is captured in The Bible in this fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment