Synopsis:Macbeth contemplates the reasons why it is a terrible thing to kill Duncan. Lady Macbeth mocks his fears and offers a plan for Duncan’s murder, which Macbeth accepts.Hautboys. Torches. Enter a Sewer and divers Servants with dishes and service over the stage. Then enter Macbeth.MACBETHIf it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere wellIt were done quickly. If th’ assassinationCould trammel up the consequence and catchWith his surcease success, that but this blowMight be the be-all and the end-all here,But here, upon this bank and shoal of time,We’d jump the life to come. But in these casesWe still have judgment here, that we but teachBloody instructions, which, being taught, returnTo plague th’ inventor. This even-handed justiceCommends th’ ingredience of our poisoned chaliceTo our own lips. He’s here in double trust:First, as I am his kinsman and his subject,Strong both against the deed; then, as his host,Who should against his murderer shut the door,Not bear the knife myself. Besides, this DuncanHath borne his faculties so meek, hath beenSo clear in his great office, that his virtuesWill plead like angels, trumpet-tongued, againstThe deep damnation of his taking-off;And pity, like a naked newborn babeStriding the blast, or heaven’s cherubin horsedUpon the sightless couriers of the air,Shall blow the horrid deed in every eye,That tears shall drown the wind. I have no spurTo prick the sides of my intent, but onlyVaulting ambition, which o’erleaps itselfAnd falls on th’ other—Enter Lady Macbeth.How now, what news?LADY MACBETHHe has almost supped. Why have you left thechamber?MACBETHHath he asked for me?LADY MACBETH Know you not he has?MACBETHWe will proceed no further in this business.He hath honored me of late, and I have boughtGolden opinions from all sorts of people,Which would be worn now in their newest gloss,Not cast aside so soon.LADY MACBETH Was the hope drunkWherein you dressed yourself? Hath it slept since?And wakes it now, to look so green and paleAt what it did so freely? From this timeSuch I account thy love. Art thou afeardTo be the same in thine own act and valorAs thou art in desire? Wouldst thou have thatWhich thou esteem’st the ornament of lifeAnd live a coward in thine own esteem,Letting “I dare not” wait upon “I would,”Like the poor cat i’ th’ adage?MACBETH Prithee, peace.I dare do all that may become a man.Who dares do more is none.
Sunday, August 2, 2026
Letting “I dare not” wait upon “I would,” Like the poor cat i’ th’ adage?
From Folger Shakespeare, Macbeth Act1, Scene 7.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment