Thursday, October 10, 2024

The dangers of cosplaying

Yesterday I posted Hoary stereotypes, commenting that the storm in a tea cup stirred by Harris (DeSantis won't take my calls) was playing against her own political interests.  Biden and DeSantis both had the same message - We are working the problem together and are getting the support we need from one another to bring relief to citizens affected.  This seemed to be a case study in sex differences in communications styles a la Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus

My point was that Harris appeared to be demonstrating that she just isn't ready to play in the big leagues.  She started the controversy by making a claim that she was being disrespected and Biden and DeSantis, despite being from opposing parties, had the same message - we are working well together to solve a problem.  Highlighting that they were the active players and Harris was sitting passively in the bleachers.  

Today, there is a clip out in which DeSantis is brief and to the point.
His succinct and clear summary.

She has no role in this process, and I have been dealing with these storms in Florida under both Trump and Biden.  Neither of them ever politicized it. And in fact all the storms I have dealt with under this administration although I have worked well with the President, she has never called in Florida.  She has never offered any support.  So what she is doing is she is trying to inject herself into this because of her political campaign.  So as the Governor here who is leading this, I don't have time for those games.  I don't care about her campaign, obviously I am not a supporter of hers, but she has no role in this process. I am working with the people I need to work with.  We are leveraging the resources I need to be leveraging.  And for her to try and say that my focus should be on catering to her rather than worrying about my own people just shows she doesn't understand what it means to respond to these natural disasters.  

She was cosplaying.  

Profoundly unserious when there are still real problems to be solved.  We have the term "stolen valor" for those claiming battlefield heroism which did not occur.  I cannot think of a term for it but in this instance, we have Harris appearing to claim authority and responsibility she does not actually have.  "She has no role in this process."  Which is demonstrably true.  No role under the Constitution.  She has been delegated no role or authority by the President.   

I suppose "fraud" might cover it.

And no one would have noticed had she not drawn attention to it because her feelings were hurt and she felt disrespected.  

Profoundly unserious.  And/or incapable.

No comments:

Post a Comment