Sunday, July 25, 2021

In perfect Judgment and memory as to my mind, thanks be to God

As I do genealogical research, I read a lot of wills.  In the past several months I have been covering a lot of ancestral lines in New England in the mid-1600s.  While some are almost perfunctorily pragmatic, many have an opening which follows a general form, varying somewhat in specifics.  

Edmund Wright (1670-1733) a sixth great-uncle by marriage and of Long Island.  The opening of his will reads:

In the name of God, Amen, the second day of December in the year of our Lord Christ one thousand seven hundred and thirty one, I, Edmund Wright, of Oyster bay in Queens County, Island of Nassau and Province of New York, yeoman, being in indifferent health as to my body and in perfect Judgment and memory as to my mind, thanks be to God, therefore, yet calling unto mind the Mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to Die, do make and Ordain this my last Will and Testament, that is to say, principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of God that gave it, and for my body I recommend it to the Earth to be buried in a Christian like and decent manner, at the discretion of my Executors, nothing doubting but at the General Resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God, and as touching such worldly estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this life, I give, devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form.

So many strands in there.  The factual establishment of date and location in a period where those could be uncertain.  His profession.  His physical and mental condition.  His pragmatic acknowledgment of mortality.  His specification of a Christian burial.  His statement of hope of his resurrection.  His appreciation of God's bounty.  

Almost literature in its capacity to bear a story.


No comments:

Post a Comment