Saturday, September 20, 2014

I had a little drink about an hour ago

I heard this song on the radio the other day as I was driving.
Show Me The Way To Go Home
by Irving King (James Campbell and Reginald Connelly)

Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
And it went right to my head
Wherever I may roam
On land or sea or foam
You will always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home
Originally written in 1925 it has lived on in plays, movies, books. Some things just click.

My first introduction to it was in what I regard as the most critical scene in the 1975 movie Jaws where Quint (Robert Shaw) reveals his history as a sailor on the USS Indianapolis to Martin Brody (Roy Scheider) and Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss). This moment of reflection culminates in a rousing rendering of Show Me The Way To Go Home, terminated by the first attack of the shark on the Orca (Quint's boat).

No comments:

Post a Comment