Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The moral of the story is that I am an idiot.

Scott Alexander has a good piece discussing Baumol's Cost Disease. In discussing people's decision-making habits (and how weaknesses in decision-making might undermine markets):
Likewise, my workplace offered me three different health insurance plans, and I chose the middle-expensiveness one, on the grounds that I had no idea how health insurance worked but maybe if I bought the cheap one I’d get sick and regret my choice, and maybe if I bought the expensive one I wouldn’t be sick and regret my choice. I am a doctor, my employer is a hospital, and the health insurance was for treatment in my own health system. The moral of the story is that I am an idiot. The second moral of the story is that people probably are not super-informed health care consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment