Saturday, February 4, 2017

Old words from Sophocles

Reading The Burial at Thebes, Seamus Heaney's translation/theatrical version of Sophocles' Antigone.

Nothing is new under the sun. Ancient words and modern contexts.
Antigone: There's a general order issued
And again it hits us hardest.
The ones we love, it says,
Are enemies of the state.

[snip]

This is law and order
In the land of good King Creon.
This is his edict for you
And for me, Ismene, for me!
And he's coming to announce it.
"I'll flush 'em out," he says.
"Whoever isn't for us
Is against us in this case."

[snip]

Creon:Understand therefore that I intend
To make good what I say by what I do.
And hear this first. This ordinance is binding.
Only a quarter of the way in, but there keep being echoes of today's events in this play from 441 B.C.

The first quote echoes the travel ban.

The second also sounds like the travel ban but also in tweet format.
"I'll flush 'em out," he says.
"Whoever isn't for us
Is against us in this case."
78 characters by-the-way.

The third quote sounds like a summary of Trump's first two weeks. Here are all my campaign promises and I shock Washington by taking the first moves to "make good what I say by what I do."

Probably just the Frequency Illusion at play. Perhaps I should shield myself from the news for a few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment