Monday, May 27, 2013

The life so short, the craft so long to learn

From Geoffrey Chaucer's Parliament of Birds.
The life so short, the craft so long to learn,
The attempt so hard, the victory so keen,
The fearful joy, so arduous to earn,
So quick to fade - by all these things I mean
Love, for his wonders in this worldly scene
Confound me so that when I think of him
I scarcely know whether I sink or swim.
Translated by Theodore Morrison

Another version.
The life so short, the craft so long to learn,
The assay so hard, so sharp the conquering,
The fearful joy that slips away in turn,
All this mean I by Love, that my feeling
Astonishes with its wondrous working
So fiercely that when I on love do think
I know not well whether I float or sink.
Translated by A.S. Kline

The original.
The lyf so short, the craft so longe to lerne.
Th’ assay so hard, so sharp the conquerynge,
The dredful joye, alwey that slit so yerne;
Al this mene I be love.
Geoffrey Chaucer
Parlement of Foules, l. 1-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment