Friday, July 30, 2010

A certain freshness of spirit

Umberto Eco from his How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays.
I'm not saying people are banal. Taking as divine inspiration, as a flash of originiality, something that is obvious reveals a certain freshness of spirit, an enthusiasm for life and its unpredictability, a love of ideas - small as they may be. I will always remember my first meeting with that great man Erving Hoffman, whom I admired and loved for the genius and penetration with which he could identify infinitesimal aspects of behavior that had previously eluded everyone else. We were sitting at an outdoor cafe when, looking at the street after a while, he said, "You know something? I believe there are too many automobiles in circulation in our cities." Maybe he had never thought this before because he had had far more important things to think about; he had just had a sudden epiphany and still had the mental freshness to express it. I, a little snob infected by the Unzeitgemasse Betrachtungen of Nietsche, would have hesitated to say it, even if I thought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment