Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My best friend is the man who in wishing me well wishes it for my sake

From Charles Panati in Words to Live By, page 180.
Wishing to Be Friends is Quick Work, but Friendship is a Slow-Ripening Fruit Aristotle (384 -322 B.C.E.), a pupil of Plato, viewed friendship among the highest virtues. It was an essential element in a full, virtuous, and worthwhile life. For Aristotle, there were three kinds of friendship:
1. Friendship of pleasure: two people are wonderfully happy in one another's company. 2. Friendship of utility: two people assist one another in everyday aspects of life. 3. Friendship of virtue: two people mutually admire one another and will be on best behavior in order not to jeopardize their relationship.
In the Nicomachean Ethics the philosopher said: "My best friend is the man who in wishing me well wishes it for my sake."

No comments:

Post a Comment