Tuesday, June 6, 2017

The autocomplete is in . . .

Interesting. I was looking at an issue about Google autocomplete suggestions and what that might say about people's unexpressed concerns. Google Search autocomplete is supposedly driven by the volume of similar searches by other people. The pro forma question was "Is my 2-year old . . . " to which the most common autocomplete suggestions are 1) autistic, 2) gifted, 3) colorblind, 4) smart.

To test autocomplete I tried a couple of different formulations: Is my daughter . . . and Is my son . . . .

The most common autocomplete suggestions for "Is my daughter . . ." are
Gay
Gifted
Overweight
Depressed
A narcisist
The most common autocomplete suggestions for "Is my son . . . " are
Gay
Autistic
Gifted
OK Meme
A Sociopath
Not too unexpected responses but also revealing in terms of social tropes. Now on a roll. "Are my parents . . . "
Abusive
Getting a divorce
Strict
Toxic
Overprotective
Toxic?

Let's try siblings. "Is my sister . . . "
Ugly
Dumb
Crazy
Annoying
"Is my brother . . . "
Stupid
An idiot
Annoying
Fat
Crazy
I can't assign any weight to the value or accuracy of any of these but it is intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment