Tuesday, May 2, 2023

I am entangled in webs of obligation and debt . . . though my debts are not burdensome, but rather pleasant undertakings that are a pleasure to pay.

From the Acknowledgments section of The Economy of Obligation by Craig Muldrew a history of the cultural foundations which allowed the development of a market economy in 15th-17th century England.

It is customary when listing acknowledgements at the beginning of a book to discuss the debts owed to colleagues, friends and funding bodies incurred while writing. Having written a book which is about the cultural nature of economic obligation, I am conscious that intellectual debts are much denser than a simple rhetorical listing indicates. The importance which they retain shows that there is still an 'economy of obligation' in the production of knowledge where the value of the final product is much more than financial. As the author, like the early modern subjects I discuss here, I am entangled in webs of obligation and debt, although unlike many of them, my debts are not burdensome, but rather pleasant undertakings that are a pleasure to pay. In the market of ideas where competition is so rife I am happy to be able to list so many sociable ties which make me grateful to the following individuals and bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment