Friday, March 25, 2022

The thief Pikamen, Guardsman of the temple of Amon, Overseer of the Herds of Amon, was then examined by beating with the stick.

I am frequently reminded at just how wonderful is the world we live in and how distinct from even a mere generation ago.  I saw this tweet.

In five minutes I am able to find a JSTOR account from The Great Tomb Robberies of the Ramesside Age. Papyri Mayer A and B. I. Papyrus Mayer A by T. Eric Peet, published in June 1915.  

In another couple of minutes I have the 1891 published account, Translation of hieratic papyri, Mayer A & B by Spiegelberg, Wilhelm, 1870-1930. 

Just a taste of a trial some three thousand years ago.  

In the first year of the reign of Rameses X, on the 15th of Mesore, on this day were brought to trial those who had committed theft in the tombs of the king, the mighty God, Rameses II, and in the temple of the king Sety I, which lies by the treasury of the temple of Rameses III. Namely those thieves, against whom the Prefect of Police Nessuamon had given information in the list of names ; for he had himself stood among them as they laid hands on the tombs.

As they were brought to trial, the rack was applied to their hands and feet, to make them give an exact account of the manner of their crime.

Here follow the names of the members of the Trial Commission: "Ranebmanachtu, Prefect of the City and Governor, Ramenmanachtu, Lord of the Treasury and of the Granaries, Yay,(3) Lord High Steward and Royal Seal Officer(*), Rameryamon, Fan-bearer to Pharaoh, Overseer of the Pa- lace, and Royal Seal-Officer, the Secretary of Pharaoh

The Trial. 

Pikamen,(5) one of the Overseers of the Herds of the god Amon, was brought forward. He was made to take oath by the name of the king that he would speak no untruth. They said to him: How didst thou go with those who were with thee, to commit this theft in the Royal tombs which lie by the treasury of Rameses III ? He said: I went with the priest Toschere "and five others," six in all. The Prefect of Police Nessuamon was brought forward. They said to him; In what way didst thou find these men ? He said: I heard that the men were going in haste to steal from this tomb. So I went thither and found these six men. Pikamen has told the truth. And I brought them to trial on that day.

The thief Pikamen, Guardsman of the temple of Amon, Overseer of the Herds of Amon, was then examined by beating with the stick. The bastinade was given upon his feet and hands. He swore: May I be put to death if I lie 1 I did exactly what I have told you. He reaffirmed it with his mouth, saying: I did what they did. I was with these six men, and I took an object and took possession of it.

The thief Nessumontu was brought forward. He was examined by beating with the stick. The bastinade was given upon his feet and hands. He swore: May I be put to death if I lie ! They said to liim : What was the manner of the theft which thou and thy companions committed in the tomb? He said: I went and found these men. I was the sixth; and I took away an object and took possession of it.

And so it continues with confessions and beatings.  Fascinating. A trial conducted recorded some three thousand years ago, translated some 130 years ago and at might fingertips in a mere few minutes of searching.

It is a wonderful world.

No comments:

Post a Comment