Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Funeral Sermons are generally prostituted by fulsome Flattery and too often by untruths

From The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, December 31, 1920, Vol. XXVIII.

I came across this intriguing item regarding Philip Grymes (1721-1762), a gentleman in a collateral branch of the family.
9. PHILIP GRYMES, of "Brandon", was born March 11, 1721, and died 1762. He was no doubt educated at William & Mary. He was a Burgess for Middlesex, at the session of Oct. 1748, appointed to the Council 1751, and was Receiver General 1749-1754. He married Dec. 8, 1742 Mary, daughter of Sir John Randolph, of Williamsburg (She died at Williamsburg, Jan. 10, 1768).

His will, dated Dec. 18, 1756, and proved in Middlesex Feb. 2, 1762, is as follows:
In the name of God Amen, I Philip Grymes of Brandon in the County of Middlesex being in good health and of sound mind & memory do make this my last Will and Testament in the following manner. My Soul I commend to Almighty God hoping for his most gracious Acceptance of it & Pardon for my Sins through the Merits and Intercession of Jesus Christ my Saviour & Redeemer.
All conventional so far.
My Body I desire may be buried in the Church Yard near my dear Relatives with Christian Decency but as little ceremony as possible.
A little more specific than is common but not surprising. The surprise is:
I desire that Prayers only may be read, having observed, that Funeral Sermons are generally prostituted by fulsome Flattery and too often by untruths, not the least Regard being had to the Sacred Place and divine Presence in which they are delivered. I direct that there be no outward show of Mourning made Use of among my family, my wife only excepted, who may conform to the common Custom if she pleases, nor will I have any Tomb erected over me.
After this observation he goes on to specify the disposal of his worldly goods in conventional fashion.

That's an interesting editorial to slip into a will. It makes you wonder what event Grymes might have experienced to make it important to call this out in his own will. Or perhaps he was simply a man of rectitude who spoke his mind directly. Genealogy is dominated by small whispers and intimations of things that we cannot now know.

No comments:

Post a Comment