Monday, May 14, 2018

It asks for the highest type of men, and there’s nothing in it to attract the highest type of men

I prefer by far real books over digital versions but there are occasions when the latter outperform the former. On my current project I have a twice a week two-hour flight on a small Bombardier jet. It is comfortable but space is limited, not much room for the two hardback books I usually have in my briefcase. Bowing to pragmatism, I have been using my Kobo and finding it far more convenient in those circumstances.

First up has been a reread of Lady in the Lake by Raymond Chandler. Chandler has a wonderful knack for the turn of phrase and simile. Some choice samples.
He didn't remember. He looked at us like a horse that has got into the wrong stable.

The minutes went by on tip toe, with their fingers to their lips.

I sat very still and listened to the evening grow quiet outside the open windows. And very slowly I grew quiet with it.

“One moment, please. Whom did you wish to see?” Degarmo spun on his heel and looked at me wonderingly. “Did he say ‘whom’?” “Yeah, but don’t hit him,” I said. “There is such a word.” Degarmo licked his lips. “I knew there was,” he said. “I often wondered where they kept it.”
I especially liked this almost contemporary observation.
"Police business," he said almost gently, "is a hell of a problem. It's a good deal like politics. It asks for the highest type of men, and there’s nothing in it to attract the highest type of men. So we have to work with what we get— and we get things like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment