Thursday, September 28, 2017

Your levellers wish to level down as far as themselves; but they cannot bear levelling up to themselves

From A Samuel Johnson celebration recalls his wit and wisdom by Israel Shenker.

A Samuel Johnson miscellany.
I have, all my life long, been lying till noon. Yet I tell all young men, and tell them with great sincerity, that nobody who does not rise early will ever do any good.

A cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing.

I would advise no many to marry, Sir, who is not likely to propagate understanding.

Difficult, do you call it, Sir?' replied the Doctor; 'I wish it were impossible. [Of the performance of a celebrated violinist.]

Marriage has many pains, but celibacy has no pleasures.

Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful.

A fly, Sir, may sting a stately horse and make him wince; but one is but an insect, and the other is a horse still.

Sir, your levellers wish to level down as far as themselves; but they cannot bear levelling up to themselves.

Let me smile with the wise, and feed with the rich.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.

That fellow seems to me to possess but one idea, and that is a wrong one.

I have got no further that this: Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it Martyrdom is the test.

An odd thought strikes me: - we shall receive no letters in the grave.

God bless you, my dear! [Last words; December 13, 1784.]

No comments:

Post a Comment