Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Long Covid - Not real but worth treating.

The tumult of atomized information reflected in a world with dying legacy media and blossoming bottom up sources from blogs, social media accounts, individual research etc. can be dissonance inducing.

Claims around Long Covid have been around now for three years.  I concluded a couple of years ago that while there might be such a thing as Long Covid, I was not seeing any reasonably robust evidence to that effect.  Instead, most the evidence I was seeing seemed to indicate that Long Covid was primarily a psychological condition and/or other endemic chronic health issues which were only temporally conjoined with Covid, not caused by it or caused by the vaccines.

That has been my conclusion for a couple of years and I still haven't seen anything to move me away from that but I hold that interpretation only moderately strongly.  A strong methodology, large, well structured study could easily shift my opinion.  Indeed, I suspect that Long Covid might be possibly a real thing for a very small number of people with very specific pre-existing co-morbidities or other conditions.  But I don't know.

In the meantime, and simultaneously while I keep an eye open for research as to whether Long Covid really is a thing, I also routinely see all sorts of research about treatments for Long Covid.

From an epistemic point of view, it seems so far that we both believe Long Covid is not real and also that there are treatments for Long Covid.  

Maybe Long Covid is real and maybe there are some non-psychological treatments for Long Covid.  In the meantime though, I suffer cognitive dissonance to be reading research that seems to indicate there is no Long Covid and also reading research on how to treat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment