Thursday, January 28, 2021

I’m an empirical rationalist all the way. Unless you talk to my mother.

I had not fully comprehended the complexity of pain generation in recovery of foot surgery with significant rheumatoid arthritis as a precondition.  The physical therapy required to facilitate the mechanical recovery of the surgery conflicts with the need to avoid activities which inflame or exacerbate already inflamed joints.  

One consequence is that for the first time in years I have watched some TV during the day as a means of distracting myself from unpleasant levels of pain.  Pain which has to simply be accommodated because there is no means of squaring the circle between physical therapy, arthritis and changing medication regimens.  

Recently I have revisited the television series Bones which I occasionally watched when it was broadcast live.  The central theme of the series is the nature of logic and intelligence in balance with humanism, faith and emotion.  Science and heart as it were.

Yesterday, I very much liked the answer of the character Zach Addy in a discussion of their respective belief systems.

I’m an empirical rationalist all the way.  Unless you talk to my mother.  Then I’m Lutheran. 

No comments:

Post a Comment