Saturday, July 13, 2019

My great aunt was the forward for her women's high school basketball team in Chickasha, Indian Territory in 1907.

From The Chickasha Daily Express, the paper of Chickasha, Indian Territory (Oklahoma). From the 23 Nov. 1907 edition.

My great grandfather settled there in 1902. While researching information on my grandfather, Holcomb Bibb Latting, I come across his sister, my great aunt Bessie Latting. What is she up to? Forward on the girls basketball team! In 1907.

Click to enlarge.

Yack, yack, yack, about women's sports teams, gender pay equity, etc. No doubt there are potentially important issues and no doubt there is much ignorance and ideological posturing.

But there is nothing new there. If there were girl's sports teams in recently-founded Chickasha, Indian Territory in 1907, 112 years ago, how is it that there is still media rancor instead of just sports reporting?

No comments:

Post a Comment