Tuesday, October 20, 2020

"Sir, those are federals. Sell your life as dearly as possible. They will burn this house and premises, but that is all right. Kill as many of them as possible."

Autobiography and reminiscences by John W. Carroll.  

We next moved in the direction of Lawrenceburg where we had a pretty stiff fight; next in the direction of Franklin, Tenn., where we took part in that memorable battle: after this we were sent to Murfreesboro, Tenn., to assist in the capture of that place.  After a hard struggle we failed to capture the works.  Here I was severely wounded in the left foot, the ball passing through the instep, from which I have never recovered.  I was carried to the field hospital for the purpose of amputating the limb, but after a consultation it was deferred.  I was then carried back to Franklin, Tenn., where I remained until Hood's defeat in front of Nashville.  

[snip]

Leaving Franklin just ahead of the retreating army in a one-horse wagon with one mule to draw it.  Mr. James Record, a member of our company, who had been with me all the while nursing me, drove the mule; I lay on my back with the shoe off the well foot and it placed against the front end of the wagon to hold the wounded foot from jolting against the wagon; the weather being very cold and only one blanket each, we moved out, cold of course; my right foot was soon severely frostbitten; so much so that the skin and toe-nails all came off together.  In crossing one of those rapid running streams in Lawrence county, Tenn. we had to keep a certain track for on either side the water was very deep.  Crossing one of these streams, the water came up over me.  Of course I had my head up above the water; but, on nearing the bank and the current being very strong, our wagon swerved downstream (a few feet perhaps) where the water was very deep.  Just before reaching the bank, it seemed that the mule would give way entirely and so stood holding with all his might; with all the encouragement that could he given him, he finally made a supreme effort, got to the bank and out of the water, very much to our delight; for as to me I thought a watery grave was my doom.  Continuing our journey my clothes froze on me and I was in quite a had plight.  Calling at a farm house late in the evening we were taken in, warmed and fed.  We continued our journey the next day with about the same luck as the previous day, except the wetting.  Just here I want to state that Lieutenant I. J. Galbraith who had a large mule came to us and put it to the wagon in place of ours, which was about worn out.  He rode my horse which was being led behind the wagon; the kindness of this gentleman we much appreciated; it enabled us to go on our journey; he also stayed with us until the end.  On the fourth day we arrived at Carrollsville, on the Tennessee river.  By this time I was very much worn out but had no chance for a much needed rest and the treatment which I so much needed.  Behind us thundered the cannon and shouts of a victorious army; in our front yawned the turbid waters of the Tennessee river upon whose bosom and sometimes, in distinct hear- ing, floated a portion of the United States navy.  To cross we were compelled.  Casting about we found a man with a dugout just large enough for me to be laid in and for the oarsman to sit on the other end.  The frail craft sinking up to within about four inches of the top.  We moved on gently, though the river was level with its banks; the low coarse whistle of a federal gunboat, being uncomfortably near; we crossed all right and friends carried me up the bank and to Mr. Frank Hassell's who lived near the river.  At this point before crossing, we had to abandon our wagon; the federals having destroyed every kind of craft on the river to prevent people from crossing, there was nothing left but to swim the stock to the west bank.  At Mr. Hassell's we were kindly treated that night.  Early the next morning we saw approaching the residence from the direction of the river, a body of men some of whom were wearing blue overcoats.  A heavy fog hung over the land as a pall of darkness, making it impossible to distinguish friends from foes.  The men who had been with me the evening before and night, feeling themselves unable to cope with the (as we thought) advancing foe, retired.  I arose from the bed and holding to a chair managed to get to the gallery in front of the house, and laying my wounded foot on the railing and clasping my left arm around a post, all this time clad in my night-clothes, I was watching the approach of the body of men.  I thought that death or a prison awaited me and not knowing which, but, if any difference, preferring the former, either of which was most appalling.  I had noticed moving about the house, during my stay there over night and that morning, a rather beautiful young lady of medium height, delicate build, dark brown eyes, long flowing tresses of silken black hair, but had not once thought of the real deep, fiery southern blood that coursed her delicate veins until she came suddenly up to where I was holding to the post.  She handed me my pistols which had been left in the room and said to me, "Sir, those are federals.  Sell your life as dearly as possible.  They will burn this house and premises, but that is all right.  Kill as many of them as possible."  Saying this she moved inside the door to await results.  Being determined never to go to a federal prison and being much encouraged by the words of the young lady.  I stood as erect as possible for one in my condition and determined to fire on them with deadly aim, as soon as they came to the fence, which was within about ten feet of where I was standing.  When they arrived at the fence to my great surprise and gratification, they were Confederates, many of whom I knew.  We had a good handshake all around and were happy.  They remarked that from the color of my dress they would have supposed I was for peace.

The name of this young lady I do not now remember, but learned that she is in Paducah, Ky., engaged in the millinery business, doing well and loved and respected.  God grant her a long and happy life and an eternity of bliss.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment