Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I am waiting for it to be revealed as an elaborate hoax

Fascinating. I came across, What Can Educators do to End White Supremacy in the Classroom? by Nick Novak, at a news aggregation site. It is purportedly a report on a White Privilege Conference. Given it's date stamp, April 1, I just assumed that it was satire. However, checking Wikipedia, I see that there is indeed a White Privilege Conference that appears to have been around since 1999.

I checked out some of the 252 comments. If something is satire, it is so identified somewhere in the comments; usually when someone has fallen for the satire and others mock them for their naivete. No such evidence.

So perhaps the MacIver Institute was pulling a fast one and making up a satire of an otherwise real conference. In that case, then the subject that is the focus of the article, Kim Radersma would have to be fake. You can't make up stuff about a person without some risk of a defamation suit. Particularly the opinions and comments they are attributiing to Radersma.
"Teaching is a political act, and you can't choose to be neutral. You are either a pawn used to perpetuate a system of oppression or you are fighting against it," Radersma said during the session. "And if you think you are neutral, you are a pawn."

She said educators need to challenge the system, otherwise they are giving in to white supremacy. Radersma also argued the first step is realizing that all white people are carrying the signs of oppression.

"Being a white person who does anti-racist work is like being an alcoholic. I will never be recovered by my alcoholism, to use the metaphor," Radersma said. "I have to everyday wake up and acknowledge that I am so deeply imbedded with racist thoughts and notions and actions in my body that I have to choose everyday to do anti-racist work and think in an anti-racist way."

She argued that until white people admit they have a problem, they will not be able to fight against white privilege.

"We've been raised to be good. 'I'm a good white person,' and yet to realize I carry within me these dark, horrible thoughts and perceptions is hard to admit. And yet like the alcoholic, what's the first step? Admitting you have a problem," she told the session attendees.

Multiple educators attended the breakout session of about 50 people and seemed very interested in how to bring the ideals of social justice and white privilege into the classroom. One attendee, a teacher and the diversity director at his school, spoke about the activities he is implementing and said it is important for teachers and administrators to discuss social justice with their students. Radersma echoed his sentiment.

[snip]

Since discovering her white privilege was the problem leading to the achievement gap, she said that she is now working to get more minorities into the education profession. Radersma told the group she thinks that students of color cannot learn as well from white teachers.

"My partner, who is a man, can't tell you about feminism. He knows a lot about it. He considers himself a feminist, but you want to learn feminism from him? No," she commented during the session. "You need to learn feminism from a woman. You need to learn what it is like to be a woman from a woman. He can't teach that. I can't teach students of color nearly as well as a person of color can."
It goes on into the farther reaches of unhingedness. However, Kim Radersma appears from LinkedIn and from her old school's faculty page, to be a real person.

So what reads as an April Fool's prank article, appears to be real reporting. I am all for variation in a system as a prerequisite for continuing system evolution, but this kind of takes the cake. I guess its real but somewhere in the back of my mind, I am waiting for it to be revealed as an elaborate hoax.

3 comments:

  1. "I am waiting for it to be revealed as an elaborate hoax. "

    Yeah, me too! I can't believe it's real. The Onion couldn't have done better. I've been searching, in vain, for evidence that it's fake (that search brought me to your site).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a follow up. I emailed the author of the article and he says it's NOT an April Fools Day joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bret - Thanks for the update. Wandered over to Great Guys Weblog and enjoyed your discussions. Thanks - Charles

    ReplyDelete