Wednesday, November 14, 2012

They throw it by with the greater indignation and contempt

It is nearly impossible to dip into Chesterfield's Letters to his son without finding interesting or pertinent commentary. In this April 3rd, 1747 letter to his son travelling in Italy and being tutored by Mr. Hart, Chesterfield has this extended metaphor. I tell my son to focus on first things first and to work hard but this is much more artful.
DEAR BOY: If I am rightly informed, I am now writing to a fine gentleman, in a scarlet coat laced with gold, a brocade waistcoat, and all other suitable ornaments. The natural partiality of every author for his own works makes me very glad to hear that Mr. Harte has thought this last edition of mine worth so fine a binding; and, as he has bound it in red, and gilt it upon the back, I hope he will take care that it shall be LETTERED too. A showish binding attracts the eyes, and engages the attention of everybody; but with this difference, that women, and men who are like women, mind the binding more than the book; whereas men of sense and learning immediately examine the inside; and if they find that it does not answer the finery on the outside, they throw it by with the greater indignation and contempt. I hope that, when this edition of my works shall be opened and read, the best judges will find connection, consistency, solidity, and spirit in it. Mr. Harte may 'recensere' and 'emendare,' as much as he pleases; but it will be to little purpose, if you do not cooperate with him. The work will be imperfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment