Friday, November 11, 2022

Drifting with the flow of the river

For the past three months I have been seeing reports from Ukraine referring to Kherson in terms of the East and West banks of the Dnieper River, but also located on the right and left bank.  Kherson is on the west bank of the river.  However, I have seen it referred to as both on the left and on the right bank.  I have also seen Russian troop withdrawals to the east from Kherson as being relocated to the left bank.  Which doesn't make sense except under odd circumstances.  

I should have recalled this.
Kherson is on the west bank of the Dnieper River and counterintuitively on the right bank given that the Dnieper flows from north to south.   

Glad to get that mild confusion resolved.  I had been assuming odd circumstances and/or reportorial error when in fact I had simply forgotten something which I did already know but which I virtually never have to know.  Unused arcana is forgotten knowledge.

It doesn't help that the river with which I am most familiar, the Nile, is relatively unusual in that it flow south to north and therefore the right bank is indeed the east bank.  

No comments:

Post a Comment