Saturday, January 13, 2018

It must count as stolen by now

From the Introduction to the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the compilation of all five books in his Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy.
The idea for the title first cropped up while I was lying drunk in a field in Innsbruck, Austria, in 1971. Not particularly drunk, just the sort of drunk you get when you have a couple of stiff Gössers after not having eaten for two days straight, on account of being a penniless hitchhiker.

I was traveling with a copy of the Hitch Hikers Guide to Europe by Ken Walsh, a very battered copy that I had borrowed from someone. In fact, since this was 1971 and I still have the book, it must count as stolen by now. I didn't have a copy of Europe On Five Dollars a Day (as it then was) because I wasn't in that financial league.

No comments:

Post a Comment