Friday, March 4, 2016

I show up. I listen. I try to laugh.

From A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen, page 15.
Here is my resume. It’s not what my professional bio says, proud as I am of all that:

I am a good mother to three good children. I have tried to never let my profession stand in the way of being a good parent. I no longer consider myself the center of the universe. I show up. I listen. I try to laugh.

I am a good friend to my husband. I have tried to make my marriage vows mean what they say. I show up. I listen. I try to laugh.

I am a good friend to my friends, and they to me. Without them I would have nothing of interest to say to anyone, because I would be a cardboard cutout. But I call them on the phone, and I meet them for lunch. I show up. I listen. I try to laugh.

Related: You can pretend to care but you can't pretend to show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment