Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Admonition by Kid Kazanova

Admonition
by Philip Stack (Kid Kazanova)

No, I am through and you can call in vain.
There is too great a fee for your caress;
Too great a share of heartbreak and of pain
And all the kindred hurts of loneliness.
What does it mean at best? A fevered hour
When I forget that you are not for me;
Your charm aglow like some exotic flower
To rouse again the waves of memory.

No, I am through---the trumpet call of youth
Must sound in vain---for I have need of rest;
You have no peace to give---no certain truth---
And I am sick and weary of my quest.

Leave me to books and wine and memories---
Nothing you have to give can equal these!

3 comments:

  1. Just ran across this poem in an anthology that I own. An interesting concept - peaceful coexistence with the essentials, though a pet needs to be added into the equation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ran across this poem in an anthology that I own. It is an interesting concept - peaceful coexistence with the essentials of life. Missing is a loyal pet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this poem in an anthology I am reading. It is an interesting concept - peaceful coexistence with the essentials of life, though a loyal pet is missing from the equation. .

    ReplyDelete