Saturday, August 20, 2016

We will sail pathless and wild seas

I like this line from Walt Whitman's Song of the Open Road
We will sail pathless and wild seas,
We will go where winds blow, waves dash, and the Yankee clipper speeds by under full sail.
It is a refreshing dose of the American Spirit. In recent years, there has been too much Gramscian focus on victims and victimhood, identity, and the ills of the past and who is guilty and who is privileged. All very Frankfurt School reformed marxism.

I wish we had leaders who spoke more to the fundamental optimism, tolerance, goodwill, and sense of exploration, challenge and adventure which is so much more the cultural DNA of America than the mimsying of the borogoves which gets the attention.

More from the opening stanzas of the poem:
Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content I travel the open road.

The earth, that is sufficient,
I do not want the constellations any nearer,
I know they are very well where they are,
I know they suffice for those who belong to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment